Wednesday, December 6, 2006

A Brief History of Storage

By the way, I took this picture with the Blackjack. Not too bad...



As you can see, the size of storage media has reduced significantly. We have an IBM 8" floppy that was apparently used here as a "System back up 10/11/88". I honestly didn't know how much this stored. But I just found a document regarding the diskette from 1979. It appears to hold 1,212,416 bytes. We also have the next gen 3.5" floppy (1.44 MB). Then I found a huge 250MB Iomega zip disk. This was a big step for floppies, though since it was proprietary it wasn't adopted too much. And for comparison's sake I put my SanDisk cruzer micro 512MB USB stick in the picture. It's the famous NOMAD! ;) Finally, there is a 512MB MicroSD card that I just picked up for my Blackjack. It will hold, what, close to 500 of the 8" floppies?

No comments: