Friday, July 21, 2006

Lotus Notes 7.0.1 for Linux Installed

After having to wrangle my Linux guy here to get Mozilla configured properly (you have to have 1.7.12 loaded) and then seeing that Gnome was the required gui (I'm a KDE guy), I got the client running. I haven't been able to really test anything, but here are some screengrabs. The second one is the application I wrote about in yesterday's SnTT post. While I think this is great, don't be mislead - this is not really a standalone Notes client for Linux. It still runs in the Workplace Managed Client framework. The install file for WMC will also install the Lotus Notes plugin. I guess technically it's a "stand-alone Lotus Notes on Linux client" in the sense that you may not be able to add more plugins. But that would just be mincing of words.

Regardless, it's a Notes Client on Linux!!! The "plugin" framework is the smarter way to go because it will be how the Hannover client is available for Linux. This gives us the opportunity to thoroughly test our applications and help make this right!

I should also note that this wasn't supposed to be available on Passport Advantage Online until Monday. So it's possible (but unlikely) that I have a non-gold release. But it shouldn't be at PAO unless it's gold.




Now Playing: "Hallelujah Chorus" by Notes gurus everywhere!

Technorati: ,

No comments: