Monday, February 26, 2007

I'm Not Sure What To Hate - Lotus, Spam, or Stupid Politicians

Please forgive me for the rant that is about to take place - I'm really going to be civil about it. But I'm really having issues dealing with the myriad of Domino Web Access and/or HTTP problems that have been introduced with every Lotus release in the past couple of years. The latest is dealt with in SPR BRIS5TXQJU and is occurring in Domino 7.0.2 FP1. Basically, a user gets a spam email with an image and they try to forward it or reply to it. OK, the replying is just lunacy, but I can see how it's possible that one would forward a junk message to an administrator to show them the junk that got through. Reading the spam is OK by the Domino http task, but when you reply to or forward it, the image is placed in the server's memory and this is where the entire server is halted! Who cares if Domino is secure and can escape viral outbreaks if you can't access the server. And this didn't even start happening with a major "dot zero" release. It happens in a fixpack. And it's happened to my server 5 times today!

I can deal with a couple of crashes every now and again, but we're talking about multiple crashes per day! And it's not just me. And it's not just this latest Fixpack. If you've read my blog long enough, you'll know that the major Domino problems I see are related to the HTTP task and/or DWA. I have posted about HTTP crashes (sometimes 8-10 per day) with Domino 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, and now 7.0.2 FP1 with a hotfix that was made to keep my prior 7.0.2 issue fixed. And I did go to 7.0.2 FP1 knowing that this could happen and that reverting would be easy. So tonight I will be reverting back to 7.0.2 and loading my stable hotfix. Lotus Development is working on a fix for this that I will probably load another night this week or this weekend.

And I wouldn't have even been so trigger happy to load FP1 had it not been for this whole DST fiasco that our wonderful politicians have gotten us into! Even Al Gore's home energy usage is 20x the usage of the average household (actually 15x more than my household)! And he's calling us to be green and is going to make us change our DST! Sorry, I digress...

So I've listed 3 things to "dislike" right now. Lotus http because of bad dealings with spam due to a rushed apply of a fix (per Lotus support - it's all over their websites!) to aid in the transition to new DST rules because of a ludicrous energy bill. What's even more ludicrous is that it would appear that I agree with Senator Clinton on the fact that the bill will be a failure!! What's happening to me?!?

Well, in 20 minutes I will be watching 24. My cable better not go out!!

No comments: