Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I Miss The Rain

I know there are those
Who are far sadder than I
They've lost thing they cannot replace
Like the beauty in their eyes
But through it all
One thing is constant and remains
The love of God
Erases all our pain!

These are some lyrics from the song I Miss The Rain by Bride (from the album Snakes in the Playground). Lately I've been finding myself listening to more of the music I listened to in high school and college. While not a major milestone, my 10 year high school reunion and 6 year wedding anniversary are coming up on August 5. I guess bands like Bride and Holy Soldier are somewhat nostalgic for me.

While it may not seem like 10 years is a long time, a lot has changed. I went to college and roomed with a hometown friend for 3 years (he now has a kid on the way), met my wife, landed my current job, got a house, got married, dealt with church problems, moved, had a kid, and have another on the way. But I'm still in my hometown and have great friends (many new ones!) and family (new family too - my younger brother is now married with a kid!).

But 10 years also takes its toll on the health of many family members. I have an aunt and uncle who are in fairly bad health. I have another aunt who has been dealing with some brutal cancer for most of those 10 years and my only living grandparent is about to be placed in a nursing home after declining health and a bad weekend. And this September will also mark the 10th anniversary of the loss of a cousin (his mom's only child) in a drunk driving accident. Couple that with some former church problems and one can imagine the potential toll taken.

But even with all of that, there are things that are constant and unchanging just as the song states! This world is fragile and broken, so I've learned not to rely upon people or things to give me hope. Instead we must continue looking toward Him who is unchanging, eternal, and purposeful!

Sorry to ramble, but that was just impressed on my heart after having dusted off that old album tonight after not choosing to listen to them for about 4 years. You can ping me offline or in comments for the reason why.

No comments: