Friday, November 9, 2007

What To Choose For New Sametime Installations?

On a Domino for iSeries List to which I subscribe, the question was asked if one would recommend going to 7.0.3. Is it stable on i5 V5R4 yet? The question was asked in relation to running Sametime 7.5.1 CF1 and not having to use the 7.0.1 jvm with the 7.0.2 server code. I hope you find my reply amusing...
7.0.3 is a major bug fix release. If you're planning on a Sametime upgrade or install, I would load up 7.0.3 just so I don't have the hodgepodge of Fixpacks, Hotfixes, Hacked older versions of Java, and convoluted template installs (for DWA/DST/IE7) that are necessary to run Sametime 7.5.1 with Domino 7.0.2 FP2 HF145-9er (10-4?).

Come to think of it, 7.0.2 FP2 seems to have been an extremely crippled piece of software - with all of the hacks and fixes you have to apply to make it "stable"...
I sure hope IBM doesn't get into the 7.0.2 situation again with all of the patches eventually necessary for it to be stable.

Anyway, since I brought up i5/OS - are you planning for your V6R1 upgrades yet?

No comments: